Barnwell Primary School hosts a Montessori program, which is built around a child's natural desire to learn. The Montessori Philosophy focuses on the development of the whole child. It is based on the concepts developed by the Italian physician and educator, Maria Montessori. The Montessori Education is based on the following elements:
- A highly skilled educator
- A respect for the child through individualized education
- Sequencing learning through specially designed concrete materials
- A child-oriented, prepared environment
The Purpose of Montessori Education
- To help each child reach fullest potential in every area of life.
- Create an environment that cultivates the desire to learn and challenge oneself.
- Stimulate the child’s innate curiosity, love for knowledge, and self-motivation.
Barnwell Primary currently has two Early Childhood Montessori classes, serving students ages three-, four-, and five-years old. We also have one combination class which serves students in grades one & two.